At Ashleigh & Burwood, we have over 25 years of experience in making homes smell amazing. We want to share
top tips for how to use your Reed Diffusers, Candles and Fragrance Lamps, to ensure their optimum performance.
Allow us to guide you through our recommendations to provide your best home fragrance experience yet.
You may have heard the term ‘fragrance or scent throw’. This refers to how well a fragrance circulates throughout
a space. The strength of fragrance throw will be determined by a number of factors including the following:
- The size of the room
- The number of reeds in the liquid
- The temperature of the room
- Any draughts present in the room
- The type of diffuser base blend and fragrance percentage included in the liquid
- We recommend changing the reeds with each new bottle of fragrance. This is because the reeds can become clogged with fragrance and dust, stopping them from working efficiently
Our top tips to get the best out of your reed diffuser
- Start with placing half of the reeds that are supplied into your diffuser. If the fragrance throw isn’t strong enough then add one more reed in at a time until you find the perfect fragrance throw that is suited to you.
- Keep your diffuser away from heat sources and direct sunlight as this can cause the diffuser to evaporate
- Try to keep your diffuser away from draughts as this will also increase the evaporation rate
- If you often use the same scent continuously you may find you can no longer smell it so well. It doesn’t
mean that the fragrance is no longer working (visitors will still be able to smell it), just that you can’t
perceive the scent in the same way. You can try changing the fragrance you choose every so often to avoid
becoming nose blind to fragrance in your home
- Experiment with different fragrances in different rooms, to give a varying ambience throughout your home
- We recommend changing the reeds with each new bottle of fragrance. This is because the reeds can become
clogged with fragrance and dust, stopping them from working efficiently.
To get the best out of your scented candle you should ensure you use your candle correctly and place it in a
prime position. Here are our top 4 tips.
- We recommend burning your candle for a minimum of 1 hour to a maximum of 4 hours, which will allow the full
surface of the candle to become molten. This is especially important when burning your candle for the first
few times, as it will prevent the candle from 'tunnelling' down the centre, shortening the overall burn time
of your candle
- When finding the perfect location for your candle in your home, we recommend keeping it away from draughts,
direct sunlight and soft furnishings
- The candle should be put on a protected surface which is stable and level
- The candle should be at least 10cm away from any other burning candles
It is especially important that you take good care of the wick in your candle. To do this follow these 3 simple
- Ensure your wick is trimmed to 5mm before each use. This will reduce the flame size helping the candle to
burn more slowly and reduces the amount of smoke produced.
- The wax pool (around the wick) should always be kept free from debris such as matches and wick trimmings, as
these could cause a secondary ignition to occur
- Always snuff out your candle, rather than blowing out the flame
If you have one of our Fragrance Lamps and your wick won't light or get hot or you’re not receiving a good
fragrance throw then you could have a blocked wick. To unblock the wick follow the 6 steps below:
- Take your wick out of your Fragrance Lamp and put into a ceramic bowl/cup (be careful when doing this as
your wick will be wet with Lamp Fragrance), ensure the surface underneath is covered
- Pour your Lamp Fragrance into your bowl/cup and fill until 2-3 cm full
- Cover with cling film and put into a cool dark place. Leave for 24 hours.
- Place the wick back into your lamp, bearing in mind the rope part of the wick will be soaked in Lamp
Fragrance, so again be careful with any dripping. You can pour the Lamp Fragrance from your bowl/cup back
into your Fragrance Lamp using your funnel to ensure that none of your Fragrance is wasted.
- Replace the snuffer cap and leave for 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes, light the wick. Please use caution as initially, the flame will be quite high (up to 3
You can now use your Fragrance Lamp once more and enjoy its amazing benefits.
We hope you enjoy your Ashleigh & Burwood products.
The Ashleigh & Burwood Team